It’s a brand new year and the season is changing, with the weather about to get a lot worse. I feel a strong case of that deadly plague coming along… not just the flu, but man flu. The ladies don’t know just how easy they have it when they have the flu. Although a couple of days off, sitting in front of the TV would be nice, no one really wants to be ill. To make sure you keep on top form and beat the man flu with incredible time and ease (to impress the lady who would normally expect to look after you), top up your body with these flu busting foods by adding to your breakfast, lunches or dinners.
- Zinc – a mineral that helps keep the immune system strong. Found in sea food, beef, lamb, wheatgerm or spinach
- Omega – reduces chronic inflammation associated with colds and flu. Found in sardines, salmon, flax seeds and walnuts
- Selenium – helps white blood cells produce cytokines that clear sickness, and beta glucan, an antimicrobial type of fibre, which helps activate “superhero” cells that find and destroy infections. Found in mushrooms and nuts
- Catechin – an antioxidant that has been shown to be helpful in the prevention of viruses. Found in green tea
- Garlic – produces potent antioxidants that protect the body against invading germs
- Essential probiotics, or “good” bacteria – can help decrease the bad bacteria that bring on sickness and give us indigestion. Found in cheese or yoghurt
- Vitamin A – really important for the mucus membranes that line our nose and throat and that is really your body’s first line of defence. Found in sweet potato, carrots, spinach